Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The amazing Dr. Duff and other fun updates

I had the first appointment with my new doctor today, Dr. Duff. I never thought I could like anyone better than Dr. Brazzel, but the truth is that Dr. Duff really impressed me, and I have to admit that I like him just as much, if not better. The nurses were DEFINITELY better than Dr. Brazzel's nurses, and it was nice to have everything available in one building (lab included) and to see a breakdown of our total baby bill with a big 0 on the top of it. Seriously, the breakdown (including the anesthesiologist, the room fees, the prenatal care and the vaginal delivery or C-Section) was somewhere around $20,000....and our copay is 0!!!! I have to say, as anxious as I was about switching doctors, I'm really happy we did it, and meeting Dr. Duff and seeing how great he was really helped. Here are some updates on me, the baby, and the pregnancy in general:
As far as the quad screen test goes, little H has a 1 in 5000 chance of having either Down Syndrome or any Neural defects, which is A LOT lower than the 1 in 800 chance that they give as a standard for women of my age. He had a good strong heartbeat of between 140 and 160 bpm, with a lot of variability, which is exactly what they look for. My uterus measured 24 centimeters from my pubic bone, which is two weeks ahead of where it should be, but perfectly normal. My total weight gain to this point is 17 pounds (eek!) which is apparently normal and healthy, and my blood pressure was right where it should have been, another very good thing. I also got a flu shot to prevent me from getting the flu and to help little H stay healthy in my tummy. Overall, it all looked great, and Dr. Duff was really super nice and amicable...in the end, I think I'm really glad we switched.
On a side note, we forgot (once again) to take my weekly picture at 22 weeks, so I'm putting up another non-tummy-exposed picture that H took about the middle of last week. It's from my 22nd week, just not right at the 22-week mark, so I guess it'll do:
My hair looks really flat because it was wet, and yes, it's all going to come off soon...I've got a haircut scheduled for next Tuesday and I CAN'T WAIT!!! Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers and please keep them coming...little H can never get enough!! :)

No comments: