Sunday, October 19, 2008

What's a girl to do?

Things have been getting a bit rough for me lately, especially in regards to certain "grooming" tasks that I've, ironically, always resented, but am now losing the ability to perform. Specifically: shaving my legs. That's right. I shaved last week for what might be the last time until I have little H in my arms. I'm looking pretty skanky now, and so I might give it a try today, but chances are it'll just frustrate me....but I'll do it anyway. Yes, one more last hoorah. The leg-shaving thing doesn't really bother me that much (I mean, the truth is that I have found myself wasting birthday wishes on "finding a way to never have to shave again") except that I'm wanting to swim, and although I doubt the hordes of old women and men who hang out in the pool area of the gym will be concerned with the hairly-legged pregnant woman in the next lane, it does make me feel a bit embarrassed. And to add to it all, I have officially had to lose the wedding rings. I didn't think that would bother me, but it's interesting: a few weeks ago H and I went to grab some take-out at one of our favorite breakfast places (they have AMAZING sweet potato waffles!) and I was in a pair of sweats and a tank top, looking pregnant as ever, with no wedding rings on (because they don't fit). H stepped out for a minute because the lobby was really packed, and just as he left, this old couple walked in and stood right next to me. I felt like they were staring at me, and I sort of leaned back a bit to check it out, and sure enough, this cranky old woman was staring right at me. I looked the other way and craned my ear to hear their conversation, only to hear her talking about how awful my shoulder tattoo was. I kind of chuckled, because it seemed pretty old-fashioned. Then, surprisingly, she said something to the effect of "and look at that, she's not even married". WHAT?!?! Do people actually look for rings?!?! Are people that petty and judgemental?!?! It really kind of shocked me, but I have to admit that as H walked in, I called out to him "hi loving husband!" and gave him a big kiss on the cheek, just to rub it in her face. He, of course, was still wearing his ring. I should also admit that I am now wearing a larger ring on my wedding-ring-finger, just in case any other cranky old bag dare make a comment. It's stupid, I know, but somehow it really upset me. So honestly, what's a girl to do? I already feel bloated as ever, I'm starting to waddle when I walk, I'm noticing the occasional toot slipping out in public, and now I have to walk around unshaven without my wedding rings? If it weren't for H telling me how beautiful I am all the time, I might be acquiring some serious self-esteem issues. And I thought pregnancy was supposed to make a woman feel beautiful.
Boy, did I get that wrong!

No comments: