Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Social graces actually do matter

I've been having a lot of issues lately about this weight I'm gaining, which according to who you speak with is a lot or just as it should be. I guess all I should care about is my doctor, who says I am perfectly fine and within a healthy weight range, but his opinion seems to be the least important. I feel like a whale lately. I think it has something to do with the actual numbers on the scale these days: at my visit with Dr. Duff a month ago, the scale was showing numbers that I had seen before, when I was at my heaviest before I lost some weight. BUT, at this last visit, there were numbers I had never seen before, and I think that's started to freak me out. I've been trying to be REALLY good about eating the right stuff since my last visit, making sure to always eat some fruit with my meals and to always go for vegetables and lean meats. I've done pretty good, except for those random awful cravings for anything and everything sugary (especially cinnamon rolls, YUM!!). Anyway, I was shopping in Publix the other day and this (rather heavy) woman came over to me and says "Well, someone looks just a little pregnant!" I laughed politely and said "yes, I'm getting close". And then she proceeds to say "well back a few years ago when I was pregnant, my mom made me a shirt that said 'I'm not fat, I'm just pregnant'." She laughed and walked away, but I was NOT laughing. In fact, I was at the point of tears, I couldn't understand if she was hinting that I looked fat or trying to empathize with me. H swears that she was just trying to empathize but didn't do it very well. He thinks she was trying to say "I remember being that pregnant, and I remember feeling fat, so don't worry". Well, whatever, but whether she was trying to empathize or being totally inappropriate, I think I learned an important lesson: SOCIAL GRACES DO MATTER!
And I guess if you don't have them, what the heck are you going to do? I don't know what to tell you but I do know that it's better to shut your trap then to potentially offend someone...that would ALWAYS be the wise thing to do. Hopefully chunky grocery store worker girl will learn that soon...and some of my friends, for that matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moniqua, you look great! I wouldn't worry about what other people say, only what your doctor tells you. I know that you eat well and are taking great care of yourself and "little h". Don't let what other people say make you doubt yourself. You are doing a wonderful job growing our soon-to-be little nephew. Can't wait to see you, have a great Thanksgiving! We love you all.
Linda

C. said...

I second that, you do look great! If you're gaining weight now, that's because Little H needs it to grow... duh!
Just think of it, depending on how much Little H weighs when he's born you'll loose about half of what you gained just giving birth (baby, amniotic fluid, placenta...). Plus the weight comes of really fast if you're breastfeeding (one more reason to do it I guess ;-).